RsLogix 500 - Uploading from a PLC and Merging Comments and Descriptions
In this lesson, you will upload a program from a PLC and include comments and descriptions that are stored in an offline file.
Two of the most difficult terms to get straight in PLCs is "Upload" and "Download". It is backwards from the internet as we Upload a program FROM a PLC and download TO a PLC. If you are not sure, then the steps below will always work since you don't have a program open, the download option will not be available.
Using one of the methods of configuring RsLinx from the previous lessons listed below, configure your communications so that you can see the PLC in RsLinx.
- RsLogix 500 - Configuring RsLinx Ethernet/IP Driver to Communicate
- RsLogix 500 - Configuring RsLinx Ethernet Devices Driver to Communicate
- RsLogix 500 - Configuring RsLinx Serial DF1 RS-232 Driver to Communicate
1. Open RsLogix 500 and without creating a new program or opening an existing program, select Comms > System Comms...
2. Navigate to the PLC you configured in RsLinx, highlight it, then click the "Upload" button.
3. Here is your opportunity to merge documentations such as names, symbols, and descriptions. If you have an offline file that has these then select option 2 by clicking the "Browse" button then skip to step 6. If you do not then select the "Create New File" button.
4. Once the file is upload, select the "Yes" button if you want to go online.
5. You can now see the program that is in the PLC. Note that you have no descriptions which means no way of knowing what I:0/0 or any other address is. This is why it is always important to make sure you have an offline copy of a file. Steps 6, 7, and 8 were for if you had an offline copy of the file but view the image in step 7 compared to the image below so you can see the difference and how much easier the program would be to follow with descriptions.
6. Navigate to the folder that contains the RSS file, then click OK. Note that the file selected doesn't have to be an exact copy of what is in the PLC. RsLogix 500 will only use it to get the comments and descriptions.
7. Once the file is upload, select the "Yes" button if you want to go online.
8. You can now see the program that is in the PLC. Since you have descriptions, this program will be much easier to follow than step 5's situation. This is why it is always important to make sure you have an offline copy of a file.
Hopefully this lesson seemed easy. The super important concept of it is that you upload FROM the PLC. The reason this lesson was put before the download lesson is that if you are ever unsure whether you should upload or download, just remember you can upload without a PLC program open in RsLogix but you can't download. That is because you must have a program to download into a PLC. We have heard may "tricks" to remembering these two terms. They have never worked for us but do whatever you must to keep these two terms, upload and download, straight. If you mean to upload and you download instead, then you just wiped the program out of your PLC and there is no recovering it.
Once you have this concept down, continue to the RsLogix 500 - Downloading a program to a PLC lesson.