RsLogix 500 - Configuring your PC's IP Address When You Can't have a Static IP
This lesson is for a very small audience of users doing our lessons. If you were browsing our lesson series and just clicked on this article then proceed to our RsLogix 500 - Configure your IP Address for PC to PLC Ethernet Communication lesson to learn how to properly configure you PC's IP address to connect to your PLC.
If you were at our RsLogix 500 - Configure your IP Address for PC to PLC Ethernet Communication lesson and ended up here, make sure you are here for the right reasons.
Who should NOT use this following lesson
- PLCs Programmers
- Maintenance Personnel
- Individuals wishing to advance their career
If you are any of the above then return to our RsLogix 500 - Configure your IP Address for PC to PLC Ethernet Communication lesson.
This lesson is intended for a very small group of people are not allowed to manually configure their IP address and whose network policy does not allow their PLC trainer to be on their network.
Important steps before you continue: This will only work on an isolated network with your PC, PLC and other training related Ethernet devices.
1. Click the Start Menu and type "cmd.exe" and click on the "cmd.exe" program.
2. Type "ipconfig /all" and press enter.
3. Find your wired Ethernet connection which is usually labeled "Local Area Connection". Note the Physical Address.
4. Along with RsLogix is an application called "BOOTP-DHCP Tool". Click on the Start Menu, type "BOOTP-DHCP Tool" and click on the "BOOTP-DHCP Tool" application.
5. If this is your first time opening it then you will need to configure your network settings. Enter a Subnet of 255.255.255.0. The others can stay at their default value.
6. Unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. You should see a new entry in the "Discovery History" section. Look at the Ethernet Address (MAC) for the new entry and make sure the value shown in the area circled in Yellow matches the Physical Address shown in Step 3. If they match, highlight the line show it turns blue then click the "Add Relation" button circled in yellow.
7. Make sure the Ethernet Address circled in yellow matches the Physical Address found in step 3 then enter the IP address you want your PC to be in the IP field. To continue with your lessons, 192.168.1.123 will work. Click the "OK" button.
8. You will now see your Physical Address and your desired IP in the Entered Relations midway down the application.
9. Unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. In a few seconds you should see the IP address you entered show up in the IP Address column.
10. Click the Start Menu and type "cmd.exe" and click on the "cmd.exe" program.
11. Type "ipconfig" and press enter. You should now see an IPv4 Address of 192.168.1.123 and a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 for that connection. If you don't see the correct subnet then check the Network Config of the BOOTP-DHCP Tool, make sure the subnet is properly entered, and try again.
You may now return to the RsLogix 500 - Configure your IP Address for PC to PLC Ethernet Communication lesson and continue.
Go to the Allen Bradley RsLogix 500 PLC Training PLC Training Getting Started Lesson series to select your next lesson. There are also many other Lesson Series on PLC Programming and Industrial Automation.