RsLogix 500 - Configuring RsLinx Serial DF1 RS-232 Driver to Communicate
In this lesson, you learn how to connect to Allen Bradley Micrologix or SLC PLC through the serial port. Your trainer is equipped with Ethernet so at first glance this lesson may seem unnecessary. However eventually you will run into a PLC without an Ethernet port.
For the Micrologix, you will need our 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. This cable has been included with your trainer. Do this lesson to understand the serial connection process then switch back to Ethernet for subsequent lessons.
Out of the box, the Micrologix is configured as DF1 or RS-232. You will connect to the PLC with the default parameters.
1. Connect your PC to your Micrologix 1100.
2. Open RsLinx. This program is already running as a service and all you need to do is find the RsLinx icon in the bottom right hand corner and click on it.
3. From your menu at the top of RsLinx go to Communications > Configure Drivers…
4. Under “Available Driver Types” select “RS-232 DF1 devices.” The default name is AB_DF1-1. You may change it now if you wish, then click OK.
5. You will then see the configuration dialog.
6. Select the Comm Port that is assigned to your serial port or your USB to Serial converter. Many converters will be assigned to higher Comm Ports such as 4.
7. Select “SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview" in the dropdown beside of “Device”.
8. Next, all you will have to do is hit “Auto-Configure”. In the textbox to the right of the “Auto-Configure” button you should see “Auto Configuration Successful!”.
9. On the top menu bar of RsLinx, go to "Communications" and click "RsWho". Select your AB-DF1 driver in the right pane and in a few seconds you should see your device in the right pane.
10. Open RsLogix 500 and from the top menu go to Comms > System Comms.
11. Select the AB-DF1 driver in the left pane and click on your device in the right pane.
12. From here, select OK and you are ready to go. Also you may select “Online” instead of OK to immediately go online or “Upload” to upload the image out of the processor.